This is hillarious… As you probably know, the claims by the likes of Glenn Beck, Michelle Malkin, etc. are wildly exagerated. Heck, Glenn Beck didn’t even attend the event he promoted, but that didn’t stop him from claiming that “it is the largest march on Washington ever.”
This may be the easiest way to explain it…
- Glenn Beck claimed that the LondonTelegraph “quote[d] a source from the Park Service, the National Park Service, saying that it is the largest march on Washington ever.”
- National Park Service spokesman “Dan Bana” supposedly said the 9/12 protest was “the largest event held in Washington, D.C., ever.”
- David Barna (who, unlike Dan Bana, appears to be a real person) said the agency did not conduct its own count. Instead, it will use a Washington Post account that said 1.8 million people gathered on the US Capitol grounds, National Mall, and parade route.
- Unfortunately, as Little Green Footballs pointed out, that quote was actually about the inauguration in January. The National Park Service spokesman was talking about Barack Obama’s inauguration.
- Imaginary ABC News reports, unnamed universities, invented quotes, and for safe keeping, the journalistic equivalent of “I heard this one dude say.”
- Pam Geller cited Thomas Lifson at American “Thinker,” who also calls him “Dan Bana.” (Lifson doesn’t feel the need to provide a link for his outlandish crowd estimates)
- From Pam Geller: “A 9-12 participant in DC claims to have overheard DC police discussing the crowd numbers. They put the numbers at over 2 million”
- Yes, she cited someone who “claims to have overheard DC police discussing the crowd numbers.”